Thursday 31 May 2012

The only interesting Jubilee advert in Britain

I was wandering through Vauxhall bus station this morning when I saw this:



It’s an advert taken out by Muslimsforpeace celebrating the Queen’s Jubilee. For me it is the most interesting use of the Jubilee for advertising I’ve seen.

My first reaction was to feel touched. My thinking was - isn’t it nice that British Muslims want to demonstrate their feelings of pride around the Queen. And to an extent I still feel this.

On closer inspection there is more going on here than may first appear:

  • Why should British Muslims feel they have to advertise their support for the Jubilee?
  • Equally, why shouldn’t they?
  • What right do I have to feel ‘isn’t it nice that British Muslims want to demonstrate their feelings...’? And what does it say about me (and British society) that I felt this at all. After all they are as British as me – why should I feel like that?
  • Muslimsforpeace is an interesting concept... As far as I know we’re not at war with muslims. Though I get the need to support worldwide efforts for peace in general.
  • Alternatively, is this a Trojan Horse – is it a religious magnet to draw us in with a message of peace and unity. And in fact, is there anything wrong with this approach?
  • Finally, could the money have been better spent on a ping pong table for the local mosque? (I have, in fairness to attribute this view to a muslim colleague).
Whatever the thinking behind, and outcome of the advert, for me it is the only piece of Jubilee based communications which has made me think more deeply than ‘She’s been around for 60 yrs, isn’t it marvellous.'
 
Certainly beats the run of the mill ads and products I’ve seen around all month.
 
 
 
What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment